I have an apartment on the top floor of a 10-story building with a small roof area accessible and restrictions on antenna size. I asked for advice here about antennas, and got a lot of suggestions and help, so I thought I would post my results.

I put up an R8 vertical on a small building (containing my shack) that sits on the roof. The base of the antenna is about 35m above the ground. It sits on a 1m tall mast which is connected to the roof with a hinge-type mount and is guyed at two levels with 4 PES marine ropes at each level.

The feedline is about 10m of RG/213. I used two homemade ferrite chokes, one near the antenna and one at the entrance to the shack, because I was concerned about RFI and receive noise.

Results so far have been, in a word, great! I seem to be able to work anything I can hear, mostly with my barefoot K3. I have only used my amp a few times. I am getting good reports and breaking pileups right and left (all this on CW, of course).

The antenna is not as bad as I thought it would be for receive noise, but it is not as clean as my Pixel Loop, which is exceptionally quiet.

My experience with similar antennas at lower heights was not as good (yes, my call makes me DX for some, but not for the DXpeditions whose pileups I get through on the first or second call). All in all, life without a beam can be very enjoyable if you can put a vertical up high enough.
Vic, K2VCO/4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/