Its all very personal and yes narrow bandwidth will have a some what hollow or squezed sound, this is just the nature of using a narrow bandwidth. I find that the K3 sounds better at very narrow settings than some of the other rigs I have had. saying that try playing with the Pitch of your CW signal this will move the passband of the reciever up and down while keeping the desired signal within the bandpass. you might just find that sweetspot where the CW tone is good to your ear. I have mine around 640hz this works for me and by narrowing the bandwidths sounds good to me and will eliminate not just nearby signals but seems to reduce the noise as it cuts out the noise that is not on the desired signals frequency especially with very weak signals. If you are not used to using narrow filters it may just take some time to get used to it. once you do however you will find the oposite and that narrower sounds better than wide even in quiet band conditions. I don't generally go below bandwidth of 240 - 400 in busy conditions like a contest and 1kc in not so busy. when I am calling a station in a big pileup and trying separate him from all the others calling I will go right down to as low as 100 hz even 50hz the K3 will go that narrow without too much ringing something I have not been able to do with other radios.

David Moes
President: Peterborough Amateur Radio Club.
dm...@nexicom.net
VE3DVY,  VE3SD