To: "<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>" <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 on SSB Mobile

Like any great station, most of the budget should go into the antenna. The Hustler will load and it might even radiate, but the resonators have low Q and are not very efficient. I just gave mine away last week, I now use a Tarheel (screwdriver) on my truck.

If your budget insists on that choice, at least make double sure that is it as high as you can safely afford with everything bonded well to (and ON) the vehicle for the best efficiency. If you get a screwdriver antenna, same rules but get the coil as high as you can and use a capacity hat instead of a tall whip.

Next you'll want to pay attention to how you power the radio. Cigar lighters are notorious for noise because they are not well grounded and often have other devices (noise makers) on the same circuit. Find a better power source, preferably connection directly to the battery (automotive self-resetting circuit breakers at the battery, fuses near the radio; BOTH leads to the battery AND both fused). The battery will act as a HUGE capacitor, keeping a lot of noise out of the rig.

Once that is taken care of, you can set up your transmitter audio as you've been instructed and there are plenty of 'scopes out there to get accurate reports. I might also cut the lows in the TX EQ which helps add more 'punch' but don't overdo that or it sounds like crap (pinched noise while breathing helium).

Don't forget that since it is a wider signal, SSB won't have near the energy you're used to (you'll need more power than you do on CW).

So it can be done. The question (for you): is the time and frustration worth the fewer contacts you'll make (compared to a 100 watt mobile). For me, life is too short for QRP but some folks thrive on it. I'd seriously consider adding the KXPA with tuner into the mix. Then you can consider one of the other larger amps... ;o)

73 es GL,
Rick, WA6NHC