What would be interesting for portable use is a whizzo box where I can connect a Ni-MH battery and a solar cell and ensure that I neither overcharge the battery nor provide too high a voltage to the radio (in my case K1 or IC-703).

Ideally I can then connect battery and solar cells as inputs and take the Ni-MH's 12 to 13 volt (or so) output.

Simon Brown
---
http://blog.ham-radio.ch/

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I just ordered 2 solar panels from Northerntool.com to experiment with. These panels are on close out and are rated at 5 watts. They appear to be about 4x5 when folded and fold out into 5 sections. It has a weather proof nylon shell with grommets at the corners for mounting. This looks like a great little panel for backpacking or other portable use. They are only $35 on sale now catalog number 339974-1615.

I have seen similar panels go for much more than this and these are higher power than the popular VW panels. A small 2-5 amp gel cell and one of my low power solar controllers would be great for a K1 or KX1. You can also easily charge a 10 cell 2000-2500 mAH NiMH battery pack without a controller as long as you did not leave them on charge too long, about 4-5 hours with full sun. Usual disclaimers no connection with Northern Tool