Hi Bruce,
The built in sound card will work but if you want any other sound devices
available you will need another. Any of the Asus boards should do the trick.
Just make sure it has a stereo input for use with lppan.
As to USB to serial devices don't worry about them. They work as long as you
get a decent quality one. You can also buy a used edge port USB to 8 serial
device on eBay. Works well.
Tom
va2fsq.com