I would check the splitter cable, or use another one. I have had numerous times when the audio cable was not up to snuff (in different ways), and the results are I/Q imbalance issues. I've even had Y adaptors from Radio Shack that were completely miswired. You would think that simple cables could be relied upon, but I've seen otherwise.
Good luck.
73, Terry, WB4JFI

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Tate - N6WM
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2014 2:13 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Elecraft KX3 IQ out and spectral display pograms

Greetings and happy holidays Elecraft enthusiasts.

I have been putting together a portable contest/dx station using a KX3/KXPA100 combo. What a wonderful little setup. As part of my testing process, I have setup a laptop computer for rig control. This works great in alot of respects, Cat control.. no problem. Keying cw from the computer.. no problem. I have run into a tiny issue, regarding the IQ out and how it integrates with computer based spectral display applications and I am hoping the fine brain trust of audio experts can help me out.

I have a creative EM 0204, and I have split out the IQ stereo into 2 channels using a 1/8 stereo to mono a/b splitter, and subsequently feed IQ to the EM 0204 into the L/R mono ports. I am having some issues that I have not run into.. for instance when I used to do this using an N8LP pan with my K3. (I have done sufficient testing with other computers, sound cards to be aware this is not limited to just this equipment). here is what my observations are:

CW Skimmer. Seems to work.. but the IQ balance seems to fall out of sync after being dialed in. in other words from time to time multiple traces of signals appear. this after adjusting with a fixed carrier on WWV to remove the traces. Its almost as if there is an IQ instability of some kind and I was curious what others have found.

PAN displays, NAP3, etc.: there seems to be a rather large artifact that tracks with the center frequency making use of the pan display rather impractical...maybe 20-30 Kc's or more. I assume this issue is resolved to make the PX3 display an accurate spectral representation, and so am wondering if there must be a setting or something I have adjusted incorrectly.

I also ran into an audio artifact where I could hear computer rfi through the headphones with the IQ cable plugged in.. I was able to mitigate this using a ground loop isolation cable.. keeping in mind I want to keep this setup portable and useable in remote locations.

IF anyone who may have resolved some of these IQ out issues could chime in and assist it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to make this setup as capable and portable as possible.

thanks in advance and look forward to your responses.

Chris
N6WM

Message delivered to wb4...@knology.net