In retrospect, its better if you contract a licensed electrician to run 240v wiring as his license is at risk and is liable if codes are violated. If you are not sure of the code and regulations, then I would say don't DIY.

I am lucky as there is no zoning or covenants where I live. Legally, perhaps a building permit is required (by the county) but standard practise is to ignore it if owner built. I put up a 12x38-foot shed wired with lights and added a backyard driveway with no permits. The property assessor has visited since and added the improvements with nothing said.

But this is rural Alaska where things are more relaxed. Also, I worked for a licensed electrician when I was younger so I am familiar with std practise. I hired electrical work at my old workplace so I had a business relationship with electrical contractor who was willing to sign-off on my work (he did the inspection).

My prior home was owner-built in 1955 & 1971 and wired by the owner with 2-wire outlets. FHA bought off on that (grandfathered it) so I did not have to rewire the house (newer half was done with U-ground outlets. I did have to fix a bunch of ground faults and other mistakes and add GFI outlets in kitchen and bathroom. I opened one outlet in the utility room to find black charred wiring (I removed the outlet and used a blank cover and removed the circuit at the breaker box).

But current home is built in 1994 and modern five-star energy home - done right. A plus is that utilities are buried so HF line noise is low. Ham radio was a consideration when we chose the home.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: