EricJ wrote:

It's interesting that you should say the sidetone was offensive because it
was not a pure sine wave. It is my understanding (not being a musician
myself), that humans prefer tones with harmonic content. Pure sine waves
sound simple and harsh to the ear.

Not harsh, but boring. But anyway, the reason a pure sine wave is desirable is that it makes matching pitch with a received signal easier.

Back in the day I always used neon-bulb sawtooth shaped sidetones. Digitally generated square waves are ugly.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco