Don Wilhelm wrote:
> In your original probelm description, you did not state how much power the
> K2 display was indicating - and I would tend to believe it indicated that
> the power was near the requested power value.

Think it was indicating HIGH actually. If I remember right, set at 5W,
it was indicating 7W, and I was measuring 1.1W.

I'll admit I'm not 100% sure, I didn't make enough notes. I could
reproduce it tonight if you like? I've not stripped and buried the ropey
old bit to make earth radials yet!

> recall that a
> shorted transmission line will look like an open circuit at the end opposite
> the short when it is a quarter wavelength (or multiple) long (and look like
> a short at the near end at a frequency where it is a half wavelength long),

Very true. I guess I could theoretically locate a fault by making
measurements at various frequencies, plotting graphs, and spotting mins
and maxes   :-)

The old ropey bit was allegedly used for 10base2 networking in the past,
so SHOULD have been 50ohm, but what would be the expected behaviour if
it was actually 75ohm cable, and how could I prove if it was? It's not
as simple as measuring resistance of it, is it?

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
#include <stddisclaimer>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]