Hi Martin,

You are using twinlead! A twinlead always acts as a transformer we call it
lecher system, my dictonary believes you call it the same :-)

If you have a given impedance at one end, the impedence at the other end is
depending on frequency and length of the Lecher wires.

E.G.  If the lenght of the lecher wires is exactly an electrically quarter
of the wavelength, an open ended twinlead will show a short= Zero Ohms at
the other end.

Draw the current curve above the wire and you will understand it easier: A
halfwave has zero current at the ends (0 current = high voltage = high
impedance) and high current in the middle.
At any point along the line you will have another impedance, thats the
result of the transformed impedance at the feed point.

By the way, thats the reason why lots of twin lead frieds use to have a 2-3m
extra piece of twinlead in their bag if they are portable. If by chance the
impedance on one band is transformed to a value the ATU cannot handle, they
make the twinlead  a little bit longer with this reserve piece and - bingo-
the tuner now can handle the impedance.

72 de Peter, DL2FI
www.qrpproject.de