Fred
I bought a nifty up converter that converts everything from DC to 500 kHz up to 10 MHz and can listen to the low freqs on my K3 there. It is made by Jackson Harbor Press and has some mods made by Clifton Labs. There is a lot of info on the Clifton Labs website about using this kit. It was really cheap in comparison to even a single Synthesizer board and there is no sensitivity roll off. I think I paid $14 and had to add a diecast box enclosure and a DC feedthru connector with two BNC jacks. NAA is very strong as are a myriad of navigation beacons and a few low band broadcast stations from Europe and Africa. The big problem is man made noise from all sorts of consumer products. I use my 160 M beverages to receive. You could also make up or buy an active antenna and maybe get more isolation from man made noise. It would have to be matched as the normal input is low impedance. I think the low freq converter is a great amount of fun to play with. $14 is about what you pay for a good hamburger these days!!
Dave K1WHS
----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Jensen" <k6...@foothill.net>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 3:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3: Any SSB user comments regarding the new synth?

That is also my big reason for ordering, I like to play around down there as an SWL. I'm 95%+ CW [really crummy hearing for SSB], I really like the current QSK, and I'm looking forward to seeing if I can tell any difference. I'm sure I could have if I was younger. :-)

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 50th Running of the Cal QSO Party 3-4 Oct 2015
- www.cqp.org