I think that was in every paper in the country, Dave. Truly a slow day :-)

73, Phil W7OX

On 3/8/15, 4:47 PM, dyarnes wrote:
Phil and All,

Since it's a slow day, I thought I would pass on this tidbit from the Washington Post about all the "myths" as to what really justifies Daylight Savings time. Here in Arizona we don't change our clocks, but just about everyone else does--Hawaii Doesn't, and there are a couple more pockets that don't change. Not that I particularly mind DST, except for the confusion it causes, but I never really understood how the claimed benefits were really backed up by fact. To me, the energy savings argument never made sense because, for one thing, it seemed like a lot of folks would run their air conditioning longer!!!

Anyway, here's a link to the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-daylight-saving-time/2015/03/06/970092d4-c2c1-11e4-9271-610273846239_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

The article addresses various "myths" about why we have DST--it helps the farmers, it is healthier, it saves energy, business likes it, etc. None of these seem to stand up to scrutiny. In fact, there apparently is significant cost, in both dollars and extensive confusion, that counter the advantages--if they even exist! Apparently, even the cows get confused by DST! Hi. Right here in Arizona I marvel at how many people really struggle with the fact that, during DST, we are on the same time as California!

Anyway, you may chose to believe what's written in the article, or not. It is an interesting discussion!

Dave W7AQK