The comment about the BC342 brought back memories of my actual setup in 1968 right after I got my first license. I built the 6L6 transmitter myself, so can definitely relate. Now I have the KX3, and am seriously considering the amp for it to use in the fifth-wheel. This would make it more like the K3, of course. But I have been having so much fun running QRP that I've decided to hold off on the amp.

Do I use a laptop computer with my KX3 - you bet! That way I get all the benefits of the panadaptor, FLdigi, FLamp, etc. And a laptop has the added benefit of a battery (my Dell convertible using Win 8.1 gets 6-8 hours on a charge). Talk about portability - this is it! I used to have a Flex-1500, but the unreliability of the software drove me to sell it. Unfortunately I sold the 100-watt linear I had with it.

Wes lives just a few miles south of me (I am in Picture Rocks about a mile west of Panther Peak).

Ron W7HD

Wes (N7WS) wrote:
First a disclaimer: I don't own a Flex radio (and it is a radio) The closest I've come is using an LP Pan on the i-f output of a K3, which I do own.

But this argument is simply nonsense. If the radio breaks---they actually do you know---you're (note spelling) off the air too.

And try as I might, I can't see Internet spots on my K3, nor can I use it to keep my banking records, write email, do antenna modeling, etc. For this I still need a computer. And believe it or not, that same computer is connected to my K3 and I would be lost without it. I don't want to go back to my BC-342 and crystal-controlled 6L6, which some still think are the only "real" radios. Time marches on...try to keep up.

Wes  N7WS