Thanks for all the helpful tips and information.  Through more
testing, it appears it's not DM-780 problem at all, but more likely a
bug in the VMWare USB stack.  I can get PC sounds to play through the
device, but as soon as I change anything at all, the sounds stop
working and nothing I can do except unplug and replug the device
(virtually, using the VMWare Fusion Disconnect/Connect menu items)
will make it work again.

So, I will go chase down that avenue.  I'm a paying customer of
VMWare, so maybe it's time to submit a support request!

Thanks again,

Chris
K1AY

--
Life is like Linux - it never stands still.