For the person who asked....

I used the 15 pin Linear jack on the back of the FTDX-3000 to accomplish a few
things. First of all, I used Yaesu pin 2 (TX GND) as
the key line for the KPA500, rather than the Elecraft's separate phono cable.
Secondly, I used Yaesu pins 4, 5, 6 and 7 to supply the band
data to the amplifier rather than rely totally on the KPA500's auto-sense of
the frequency. And, of course, pin 3 is the common
ground for all of this. At least on the FTDX-3000, ignore the KPA500's
instructions about Yaesu pin 8 (TX INH) - just leave it alone.

Also, I used Yaesu pin 11 (TX REQ), and ground, out to a separate push-button
switch. When pressed, this forces the FTDX-3000
into a CW carrier (regardless of current mode), and I've set the menu #178 to
let it output only 10 watts.

So in use, I put the KPA500 to operate, press my little push-button switch
which puts 10 watts out to the KPA500, which then generates
about 200 watts into my tuner, which I quickly adjust if necessary. Let go of
my push-button switch, and I'm good to go with about
25-30 watts preset on the FTDX-3000 power.

Jim, K2WU