George, N4YM asked:

...I understand the reason a lower pitch ST would be easier to copy when qrm
is present, due to the percentage difference matter.  My question concerns
what pitch is easier to copy when receiving fast cw when no qrm is present.
... Also, it seems my K2 pitch volumn has a "hole" around 550 to 625, in
that the level is not as loud in this range, when using the K2 internal
spkr....Anyone else experience the "hole"?

-----------------
What CW speeds are you thinking of George? My absolute maximum is about 40
wpm and that's head copy. I'm starting to work hard at 35wpm. 99% of my
"QRQ" CW is around 30 wpm and 99% of my general QSOs are between 15 and 20
wpm.

Those are very sedate speeds to real high speed (QRQ) operators.

Over those ranges the tone makes no different to me as far as the ability to
copy. I find the higher pitches (>600 Hz) tiring to listen to, so I usually
go for the lower frequencies. My K2 is set up for 500 Hz.

I almost always copy using phones. In the o-l-d days, especially in the
Army, I'd sometimes have to copy audio tones approaching 1 kHz on a
loudspeaker in the operating room. That was tough for me because the room
echoed, and echo got worse as the pitch frequency went up.

I assume you mean the sidetone pitch, not the volume, since maximum,
ear-splitting, volume occurs at 255 (mine is set to 11, Hi!). I don't notice
any unusual variation but level drops smoothly as the frequency goes up,
thanks to my having installed the sidetone improvement mod that makes the
non-sinusoidal tone a little less harsh. It's basically a low-pass filter so
it attenuates the higher frequencies. Still, the drop seems smooth on the
internal speaker.

Ron AC7AC