Thanks Jim, yes my PX3 was a kit, and I did do the tape removal and check good
electrical contacts as I was sure there could be problems. I don't like the
design of the case, would have much preferred a diecast box instead of silly
thumbscrews and legs that either are too loose or too tight. As you say having
PCB mounted connectors with no connection to the case is part of the problem
with radiated noise from the cables.

The KX3 was a factory build, bought in UK from W&S, don't know if they build
them in the UK or whether they buy them in already built.

Others have confirmed that the PX3 is noisy on VHF despite all the good tips
you have mentioned.

I am resigned to giving up on the KX3 & PX3 for VHF work, which is a pity as
otherwise I like it despite it having such poor audio from the built in
loudspeaker. OK on headphones, or with a powered speaker though. Trouble is the
small neat portable rig quickly becomes a mess of extra cables, filters, copper
straps, torroids, copper tape and aluminium foil.

Short of taking the PX3 apart and building it in a proper box along with the
KX3 to try and screen things I don't think it is going to work out here.
Elecraft have previously commentated that it is switched mode regulators in the
PX3 that cause a lot of the noise lines, I had hoped that the gain of the
transverter would lift band noise sufficiently to obscure them, but I was
unprepared for the PX3 noise actually being quite audible in the receiver, not
just visible on the display, which is a showstopper.

I will speak to Elecraft about it though.

Thanks.

73

David Anderson GM4JJJ