John,

I must ask - how did the receiving station know he was actually tuned to
your frequency if he did not tune for the best sounding voice.  If both of
you were relying on the indicated frequency of the tranceiver, there are two
places for error to creep in - his transceiver calibration and your K2 dial
calibration - either are suspect - amateur transceivers are not precision
frequency counters and you said the error was only 40 Hz.  Be aware that 20
Hz accuracy is about the best that you can expect from the K2 and many other
transceivers even when they are properly calibrated.

Before you do anything, I suggest that you check the dial calibration on
your K2 against WWV.  40 Hz is not a lot - if it were 400 Hz, that might be
something to be concerned about, but 40 Hz is almost 'on frequency'.  You
will likely have to tune WWV with precision, and the only way I know to get
closer than 30 Hz is to use Spectrogram to observe the 500 and 600 Hz tones.
Perhaps some folks with perfect pitch can get closer than 30 Hz, but I
certainly can't without a pitch measurement tool.

If you find your Dial Calibration OK, then yes you can shift the BFO by 40
Hz and correct your problem.

Should you find your Dial Calibration off, you should start from the
beginning step of setting the 4 MHz reference.  If you need guidance in
doing that as well as setting the filters/BFOs, you can find additional
information and suggested procedures at my website http://w3fpr.qrpradio.com

73,
Don W3FPR