I've been playing around with 50 MHz USB/CW down at the low end of the band
with a plain ol' dipole.  I'm curious about noise and birdies and other
people's experience, as I really don't know what to expect.

I have a steady S3/4 noise level at all frequencies with the preamp off,
jumping to solid S5 with the preamp engaged.  I have several strong signals
(probably harmonics of some interference??)  as follows listening in USB
mode, preamp off:

50.026: S4
50.057: S6
50.087: S5
50.117: S6
50.148: S6
50:178: S4
and more as I tune up. Notice the 30KHz spacing.

These are all steady 2-tone signals with perhaps a couple hundred hertz
difference in the two tones.  No variation with day/night or propagation as
far as I can tell.  They all disappear when the antenna is disconnected.

First, is my background noise level local or should that be expected on 50
MHz?  And what are these signals spaced every 30 KHz or so?

Could this be broadcast overload way up here on 50 MHz?  I do have a fairly
close 1580 KHz AM station broadcasting 1100 watts during daytime, and 110
at night, but I use an Array Solutions BCB filter.

What have others experienced?

Thanks and 73,

Chris
K1AY

--
Life is like Linux - it never stands still.