I use a Dell Venue 8 Pro and like many new tablets and phones it uses USB On The Go for connectivity. Dell sells this:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=470-ABES#Overview

and it allows what you need. USB OTG negotiates charging and data according to a set of rules which I have not figured out yet, need to research that sometime! No connection to Dell other than a satisfied user. I'm sure this is available other places as well.

73,

John Payne W4CWZ