Hi Paul,

If you've already built your KFL1-4, then the easiest way is to remove the following components:

X1, X2, C9 (Premix / Bandpass Filter)
CJ (RF Band-Pass filter)
C21, C22, C23, C24, C25, C26, C27, L1, L2, L3 (Low-Pass Filter)

Then install the following components in the Premix / bandbass area:
X2 - 11.5 MHz crystal
C9 - 33pf (might be 68pf)
Add two more capacitors, going from either side of C9 to ground, both are 68pf in value Add two more capacitors, in parallel with C3 and C4, both are 120pf in value

Install in the RF band-bass area:
CJ - 33pf (might be 68pf)
Add two more capacitors, going from either side of CJ to ground, both are 100pf in value Add two more capacitor in parallel with CC and CD which are between 680 and 820pf in value (you may need to experiment)

Install in the Low Pass area:
Here, I'd just use the same lowpass filter as in the KFL1-2 / 80M option. Just have a look at the schematics & component values for that. Or, check out the schematics for the K2's 80M low-pass filter. Either way, there's two ready-made choices for low-pass filter component values.

This would give you band 1 = 40M, band2 = 30M, band 3 = 80M, band4 not used.

For alignment, the 30 & 40 meter sections would work up just like in the manual. For 80M, you have to tweak all eight remaining variable capacitors in order to fully tune it. For simplicity though, I'd just set C1, C2, CA and CB at a fixed position, either halfway or maximum, then work with the other four in order to finish alignment.

These values are from my notes, which may not be up to date, I know I was doing more experimenting with the values of CJ and C9 to increase the bandwidth. I'll double-check against what is actually in my K1 later today to be sure, but I can say I have got as much as 5 watts out on 80M in the 4-band board, and have got the bandwidth up to about 200 kHz. There's some drop off at the far ends, down to about 3 watts.

For what it's worth, before I decided to go for the K2, I had built my 4-band board for 80-40-20-15 with the intention of making a little external 80M low-pass filter that I could just add in between the radio and the antenna when needed.

As always, your mileage may vary & experiment at your own risk.

73 de Stephanie
va3uxb
K2 # 5311 / K1 # 2132