Hi to the group

I know this is long so if you are not interested in Solar Field Days please hit
delete.

I am late telling about my experience with Field Day but I had so much research
going that I wanted to wait until after my two week vacation to tell you all
about it.

I have been using class 1B ND battery all but one of the last 15 years. I
started with my K2 built in 2000 along with a Radio Shack Tandy 1100FD laptop
all running on an old group 27 battery. The year the battery was 18 years old
it failed about 6 hours before the end of field day and would not take a charge
again. I bought another group 27 battery and used my K3 and the 1100FD laptop
the next year. The club talked me into running under my call the following year
as a 100w 3A ND station using a Windows XP laptop and N3FJP software. The next
year I had my new KX3 and went back to 1B ND battery. I used the I-PAD and
Hamlog software but the I-PAD battery ran out of battery after just 7 hours of
use. Last year I ran the KX3 and a Windows 8 laptop as 1B ND Battery but had to
run the 40 watt laptop as the only load on my generator. I understand that
meets the rules but I did not like it.

This year I replaced all the lights in my camper with LED bulbs and dropped the
load from 1.5 amps per bulb to 0.2 amp per bulb. I found a Verizon 12 volt
power supply that would run an I-PAD and Hotspot at the same time on a
discharging 12 volt battery. The I-PAD used about .4 amp as long as I was
careful to turn the I-PAD OFF instead of to STANDBY when I was not using it.
The I-PAD looks OFF when in STANDBY but runs the battery down doing things in
the background and charges the battery when it is turned back on which draws
additional 12 volt from the battery. I programed the fast memories of the KX3
for W0CZ, and 1B ND and used the built in paddles for anything else. You can
see pictures of my camper and antenna on qrz.com. I also added a 33 ft MFJ
fiber pole with a 29 ft vertical wire that loads on 40, 30, 20 and 15 meters
using the KX3 built in tuner. A week before field day I was given ten five watt
solar panels. Years ago I had built the KD5NDB solar regulator so I wir
 ed all 10 panels in parallel and the solar regulator to charge the battery.

My results for field day were 132 cw five watt contacts with a claimed  QSO
score of 1320 plus bonus points for 100% emergency power, Natural power QSOs
completed and using the b4h.net applet. The solar charger had my batteries
fully charged by the end of field day after operating all night.

Two days after field day we took off on a two week vacation to Northern
Minnesota to camp grounds without electricity. I had the 8 year old group 27
battery and a 4 year old group 24 battery as my only source of electricity. I
also had the KX3, PX3 and KXPA100 along and used the station extensively. The
solar charger was able to recharge both batteries every day the sun was out and
help them on the other days so I never did use the small generator I brought
along. In bright sunlight I was able to make several nice rag chew CW QSOs at
100 watts. All my other contacts were at 50 watts night or day.

I made one more change to my solar project when I got home. It is a Home Depot
Grape Solar GS-STAR-100W panel. I found when I was camping that it was a lot of
work to move 10 panels so this way when the sun moves I can follow it by just
picking up the one panel.

KD5NDB is a silent key and I do not know of anyone selling his kits but I did
take pictures of his kit instructions and schematic drawing which I can E-Mail
to anyone that wants to build this solar regulator. One advantage of his
circuit is that it makes no RF noise. Many other SOLAR REGULATORS make serious
RF noise.

73 and thanks for the band width

Ken  W0CZ   w0cz at i29 dot net7

Sent from my iPad