Stephanie, VA3UXB, wrote:

Ok...what's the Q-code for 'feeling like a dummy'?

Thank you everybody for pointing out the very obvious source of my
problem.  I had read about what can happen with low quality power
supplies.

I think it's "QOOPS" <g>.

It's not a sign of a "low quality" supply at all, but merely one that has a
transformer in it. The "cheap" supplies to watch out for are the low-cost
"switching" supplies. They have a very small transformer that won't out put
much of a magnetic field to bother the K2, but have a tendency to generate a
lot of RF interference across the band. (High quality switching supplies
don't do either)

A "linear" supply using a sizeable transformer working at the 60 Hz mains
frequency does not produce RF interference, but does produce a large
magnetic field that can cause some problems like you experienced.

My big linear Astron sits on a stool under the operating desk where it
doesn't clutter up the operating table and where it's well away from the
rig.

Ron AC7AC