Matches my experience, Al. This humble arrangement of wires radiates somewhere
along a continuum between "vertical with one or more radials" (over perfect
ground) and "inverted V mounted at a weird angle" (in free space). I think that
explains the variance in loss, takeoff angle, etc.

Most portable antennas live between these two extremes. Your analysis proves
the operator is better off enjoying the effect of radiation than obsessing over
its shape.

Wayne
N6KR