I have found that  the use of an inexpensive computer type fan on even low
power running behind the KX3 works well  in allowing the full use of the
digital modes, to include WSPR at 5 watts full cycle of 112 seconds. Thank
you for all the thoughtful inputs. Running WSPR  at 3 watts does not require
the fan, but at 5 watts the fan is adequate. The radio gets warms, but does
not overheat. My KX3 came with the latest heat sink from ElecraftI, have not
performed the temperature compensation mod,  and will not be buying any
after-market heat sink. 73 Ron KM4VX