My thoughts would be that all devices use the USB instead of RS232. By
design the USB is a BUS rather than a point to point protocol as is RS232.
Especially with USB3 throughputs this would make a better interconnect.
Another thought would be an Ethernet connection in addition to the USB3. I
can see the future potential in an additional microcontroller on the I/O and
if it's not already the standard, using the universal serial bus (USB) for
all peripheral interconnects. Makes sense to me anyway.

As far as I'm concerned tho the setup works fine as is J, I am going to go
back and do one more look at the TS-590SG. It's a close call but I'm
comparing a quarterhorse to a drafthorse and justifying spending almost
twice as much more to get the drafthorse.

The built in obsolescence of the TS-590SG is a big negative for me.

Back on topic of CW via keyboard.. I've not found in the docs where
connecting a keyboard directly to the K3S is even supported?? Maybe it's a
feature of the P3..

Jer

On 8/4/2015 9:49 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> It appears that this is about the on-monitor Keyboard functions

> associated with the SVGA board in the P3, not the K3. and the SVGA

> would own the buffer overrun problem. Or is there something else

> actually in the K3?

At this point, we don't know what is failing, or where.  The K3

typically receives each character from the P3/SVGA and produces the CW

code and side tone for each element as the character is being

transmitted.  It also displays each alpha-numeric character on the K3

display.  When a character is skipped, none of those actions are

happening in the K3.  Then, there is the RS232 between the two units to

consider.  The fact that it fails independent of speed, even at very

slow speed is the curious part.

This thread got off on a tangent when it was suggested to Marc that he

use a computer for CW with the K3.  If doing so, isn't it a function of

the sound card line in and out, and not the RS232 to transfer the code?

Perhaps I'm forgetting something.  I make mistakes when it's late and

I'm tired.

Dick, n0ce