Hi Alan,
Like you, I have an MFJ-998 auto tuner, but was never really satisfied with its
integration with the Elecraft K3. I suggested to Martin that MFJ produce a
cable to integrate with Elecraft radios, but that hasn't yet happened so far as
I know.
Based on the superb tuning capability that the internal K3 tuner has, I decided
to take the plunge on a KAT500. I can't be happier that I did. The integration
with the K3 is seamless and pretty much flawless. The tuner follows my K3
wherever it goes, quickly and silently (silently because I've stored matches
for all bands; on the initial tune there's of need a bit of clatter but nothing
like the 998's) matching my two low wire dipoles on all bands including 6M,
though 160M is a bit tough because of the 52-foot length of the wires. I don't
get the "surprise!" tune-ups that I got with the 998. I get many more matches
on 160M and 80M than I got with the 998. All I have to do is switch my amp when
I change bands now. At some point I know I'll end up with a KPA500 and that
switching function will become a thing of the past too. I recently added a
third antenna (coil-loaded sloper) for 160M/80M and the KAT500 loads it up
beautifully. It's sweet that that particular antenna remains always selected
for those two bands.
I suspect that at least in part, the MFJ-998 is designed to evaluate situations
where it must expect the user will throw a full 1.5KW at it into a really poor
match, and it then must say "My components really aren't designed for that
particular extreme, and I can't give you a <2:1 match."There's no way for me to
tell it "Hey, I'm never sending you more than 800, I promise!"
One thing I did like about the 998 is I had two sets of tuning settings - one
for dry weather, and one for rainy/snowy weather. It was easy to switch between
the two on each antenna.
Of course that is possible to do with the KAT500 as well. You can save a "dry
weather" configuration file and a "wet weather" file and read the appropriate
one into the tuner as needed. I've not yet gotten 'round to creating the wet
weather file.
I keep the 998 around thinking one day MFJ will produce a cable for Elecraft
radios, and I may decide to go through the hassle of getting a building permit
to install 240v to the shack, and go fully QRO. Until then, it's not connected
to anything now and the KAT500 is my do-it-all tuner for all occasions.
I went the kit route with the KAT500 and like all the Elecraft kits, it was a
barrel of fun to assemble.
I can't speak to how the KAT500 will integrate with your Icom, but as for its
integration with the K3, it's the bees knees.
73, Tyler, KC2LST
------------------------------
Message: 15Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 02:47:10 +0100From: "G4GNX"
<g4...@theatreorgans.co.uk>To: "Elecraft Reflector"
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>Subject: [Elecraft] KAT500 tunerMessage-ID:
<D70706FE6C0142C6B7A0CFB5767F3475@Paramount>Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="Windows-1252"
Hi all.
I am contemplating purchasing a KPA500 amplifier to complement my K3.
I currently have a MFJ 998 tuner which is good for 1.5KW but I think that the
KAT500 tuner from Elecraft will be a superior product. Would this be a sensible
assumption?
If I also buy the KAT500, will it easily interface with my Icom IC700 and is
there a specific setting that would allow me to use the IC7100 ?Tune? button,
which allows tuning at reduced power (ISTR it?s set at 10watts)?
73,
Alan. G4GNX