Byron wrote:

>> For example, listening to a DX operator who is running split.
>>
>> I would like to hear the DX on the Main, and both Listen and Transmit
>> on the Sub.

Don replied:
>I prefer to tune through the pileup with the big knob and place my
>transmit frequency at what I consider a good spot.  The DX station does
>not often move, so once I tune in the DX with the VFO B knob, there is
>no reason to change VFO B.

Byron, don't give up! Your instincts are entirely correct: use the main
receiver for the DX and the sub for the pileup.

Four good reasons:

1. By any meaningful definition of the term "DX", the DX station is
likely to be *much* weaker and more difficult to copy than stations in
the pileup. In some parts of the world, the DX station will also be
subject to strong and deliberate jamming that will make copy extremely
difficult.

2. But you still need to copy *every detail* of what the DX station
sends. Above all, you need 100% copy of the callsign that he's currently
replying to - in the hope that it's yours, of course, and then to
confirm that he copied it correctly.

3. You don't need good copy at all from the pileup. You only need to
identify a frequency where someone is sending "599" but you don't need
to know who that was, and you probably won't even call on that
frequency. It doesn't need your best receiver to do that.

4. The Main and Sub receivers are not "equal". The Main is by far your
best receiver because all the QRM-fighting features and controls are
immediately to hand. Many controls for the Sub cannot be reached without
first holding BSET, and the Sub may not have the full complement of
filters.

So stick with the method you know, Byron. The K3 can do it, and it
*will* net you more DX.

73 from Ian GM3SEK