It will do that if the K3 is in transmit mode but with no power coming out. The P3 auto-scales the modulation display amplitude, so if there is no signal it jacks the gain way up and you see quantized noise.

The next version of P3 firmware will limit the maximum gain so you don't see so much noise in that situation.

Alan N1AL