From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date:08/13/2015  12:22 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3S Power Up Audio Pop

On Thu,8/13/2015 9:04 AM, David Ahrendts wrote:
> Audio experts: I have a pair of AudioEngine 2 powered speakers servicing my
> beautiful new K3S (an excellent combo). On K3S power up and power down, there
> is pretty major audio surge pop that, I am sure, is not healthy long-term for
> the powered speakers. Can anyone suggest a small speaker connection
> modification to prevent or lessen that power up pop?
> It occurs to me the simplest thing to do is to power up the K3S and then
> power up the speakers.

A couple of observations. First, I doubt that powered speakers are
needed -- I'm happy with non-powered speakers with my K3, and Elecraft
says that the audio output stage in the K3S has been beefed up.

Second, good audio practice is to turn down the gain on the speakers as
far as practical and set the line level out of the K3S to get the sound
level that you want.

Third, yes, turning the speakers on after the K3S would also solve it,
but you may not need to worry about that if you've set levels as above.

And finally -- powered speakers are notorious for RF susceptibility.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to mundschen...@msn.com