I can't say enough good things about the built in data modes. I don't think "casual" gives them enough credit for their usefulness while chasing DX. I had 114 DXCC entities confirmed in digital mode (all RTTY) when I acquired my first K3 in the fall of 2011. I'm now listed at 215 on the digital mode DXCC list and every one I have added was worked from the front panel of my K3 in RTTY mode with no interface or software. I have my call sign (x3) built into the M3 button and a generic report built into the M4 button, and the K3 is always ready to go in RTTY mode when I am on the air. That readiness made all the difference when I worked 9N1AA in Nepal simplex on 20 meter RTTY for an all time new one in 2013. In another minute the frequency was hopeless with callers, but my contact was already in the log. No super station here either, worked him from South Mississippi with 500 watts to a ground mounted vertical while listening on a wire.

73,

Bill - NA5DX

*Wayne Burdick*n6kr at elecraft.com<mailto:elecraft%40mailman.qth.net?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BElecraft%5D%20K3S%20OR%20K3&In-Reply-To=%3CB62F672B-D263-46A9-8509-C2F6A0688528%40elecraft.com%3E>
/Thu Aug 20 18:05:38 EDT 2015/

The K3S and K3 also draw a lot less current than your average high-performance
desktop radio, typically 900-1200 mA in RX mode. This can greatly extend
operating time for lightweight DXpedition, RV, or Field Day stations that are
battery powered.

A few other features come into play during field operation:

- four one-touch CW/DATA/voice message memory switches with auto-repeat (M1-M4)

- up to 8 programmable front panel switch macros for doing things like "VFO A->B,
VFO B up 2 kHz, turn on split" (etc.) with a single switch press; these can be
customized for different kinds of operation

- built in clock/calendar, voltage, and current display (on VFO B)

- built in data modes for casual operation on PSK31 or RTTY without a computer
(every Field Day, when I get tired of working CW or SSB, I'll prowl the
20-meter data sub-bands and work stations with the keyer paddle and message
memories; you can also use the P3/SVGA with a keyboard)

73,
Wayne
N6KR