I would agree with Ted in many instances (especially where safety is
paramount),  standardization is a necessity (excellent examples are given by
Ted).  That said, I would have to disagree with him if we try and apply that
rational across the board.  For instance, I do think applying the "if it fits,
it should work" is practical for ALL electronic devices.

Using a fully loaded K3S as an example, there are (not counting the ground lug)
twenty four jacks on the back, and 2 on the front;   requiring 13 different
types of connectors (SO-239, BNC, Anderson Power Pole, RCA/Phone, 1/4" mono
jack, 1/4" stereo jack , SMA connector, 1/8" mono jack, 1/8" stereo jack, USB,
RJ45, DB15, and last but not least, an eight pin mic connector).

If you were to apply the "if it fits, it should work" rule to the K3S, it would
now require twenty six different types of connectors (double what we now have).
 O yes, even the ANT 1 and ANT 2 need to be different (maybe ANT 2 should be a
N connector).  WIth Radio Shack going tits up, it is hard enough finding the 13
types of connectors we need today; can you imagine trying to find twenty six
different types  just for the K3?   And if you happen to have a VHF/UHF radio,
it should have different connectors than any on the K3 or (for that matter)
power amp; God forbid you inadvertently connect  the output of your 1.5 KW amp
to the ANT jack on your VHF radio!!
Anybody who plugs a cable into a socket just because it happens to fit is a
fool;   especially amatuer radio operators, we all passed tests on radio theory
and should know what all the inputs and outputs on our radios are for and how
they are used.  As for the DB15,  it is marked ACC, it is not labeled VGA; why
anyone would think it should be connected to a VGA monitor is beyond me??   Do
you assume all radio manufactures use the same pinouts for their RJ45 or 8 pin
mic connectors, and connect any mic to any radio?
And yes, Bob (K4TAX) said it all; "it is very important to read and understand
the manual before plugging or inserting any connector into any hole on any
radio today".

Dick, K8ZTT