Warren:

FYI. I'm running into serial ports on the PC, not USB.

Brian KD0HII

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Warren
Merkel
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2015 07:21
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KAT500 Utility

Brian,

I had this happen to me one time.    I believe it was trying to find the
KAT500 on a port that was no longer the correct COM port.   A device was
there but it wasn't the KAT500.    Try unplugging all other USB devices
that you can, leaving only the KAT500 connected,  and start the application
again.  (Kill the task in the process list if you see it's already there)  If
no joy, try disabling any COM port sharing software you might be using as well.

I just tried to find where the KAT500 utility stores config info and
interestingly didn't find a thing in what looks to be the right place
(  %appdata%\Elecraft\KAT500 Configuration)   The folder is empty!
Was hoping it was just a config file that we could look at.

Might I suggest you look in the Control Panel Device Manager, and
determine which port is being assigned to the KAT500.   It should be
listed under "Ports and LPT"   It shows up as "USB Serial Port (COMx)"
Where "x" is a number.  Make mental note of what the COMx is in your
case.    That at least means that the KAT500 is being recognized by the
computer and is assigned a COM port.   If this port assignment doesn't
make sense from what you expect or what it was using previously, possibly the
Utility is hung  while trying to use different port than what it is being
assigned to the KAT500 now-- and not doing a good job of telling you it's
having an issue.

Have you tried uninstalling the Utility completely and then reinstall
it?   Hopefully the uninstaller will remove the incorrect configuration
information on the way out.  The developer needs to chime in on where that is
kept.

Warren
KD4Z

delivered to subscript...@brianlinn.com