For the short period I had an HP 141T spectrum analyzer, I played around with my noise gen a bit, and I was able to get a view showing the noise of the N-Gen over a wide range, it looked like a fuzzy little catarpillar, I should have taken a pic.

You should be able to test your N-Gen on any VHF radio including an FM broadcast or aircraft reciever, any HF radio including some cheap "shortwave", a Radio Shack Weather Cube, just about anything. The signal shows on up a good oscilloscope but just barely, a radio is a sensitive thing! 73 de Alex nS6y

On Jan 29, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Don Brown wrote:

Hi

You can use your K2 as a tester for the N-gen. Just use a probe made up of
some RG58 connected to the antenna input of the K2 and install a small
capacitor (around .01) in series with the probe end. You can then touch the probe to the zener diode cathode. You should hear an increase in the noise level on the K2. If that is good then move on the the MMIC the output there should increase on the S-meter of the K2. The circuit is so simple it just
about has to be the battery the zener diode or the MMIC in that order

Don Brown

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Waterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] NGEN - is it working?

John D'Ausilio wrote:
Noise increase should be unmistakable. Make sure the MMIC isn't in
backwards :)

I was wondering if I'd mounted it "upside down", but as both the top and
bottom leads are grounded, it looks as though, as long as the slanted
lead is towards the centre of the board, I can't realistically get it
wrong.

If you have a key attached and happened to transmit
into it, just order replacement MMIC (get 3, about $10 delivered :)
from Elecraft.

I'm an SSB guy, don't know CW YET. I don't have a key, I do have a PTT
switch, but only recently... Basically...

I built NGEN, XG1, DL1 without being able to test them. I built the K2
and had no PTT or key connected. I transmitted into DL1 for the bandpass
filter tweaking, but did no other transmitting until after building
KSB2. I can be just about positive I've never transmitted into NGEN...
And even if I had, it definitely wouldn't have been the FIRST thing I'd done to it, and as far as I can tell, NGEN has never worked, or at least
not noticably.

I'll try testing with AGC off, NGEN connected, and XG1 sat nearby on the
bench so I have a signal to compare with my noise or lack thereof.

If it still doesn't work, can I be fairly confident that it's the MMIC, or might it be the Zenner D2? Or indeed anything else? There's no "cheap
and dirty signal tracing" or table of voltages for NGEN, is there?

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, G7RZQ, K2 #5209.
use Std::Disclaimer;    [EMAIL PROTECTED]