Woodworking is my number one hobby (except for the coldest winter months).  Ham
radio is second to woodworking and my work is primarily furniture using
hand-joinery (mortise & tenon, dovetails, etc.) and all hardwoods (favorites
are Padauk and Maple).

Yet, for my shack combined den/office, I bought two tables from IKEA.  They
have a blond maple like plastic laminate surface measuring 36 inches deep
(which is special order when I bought these) and 64 inches long.  They have a
gray metal stand with adjustable height legs.  For the shelving, I used 16 inch
wide melamine type shelving from Home Depot (3/4 inches thick).

I have two IKEA tables, one is used for ham radio desk and the other right next
to it is my iMac computer work station.  The photo at the URL below is of the
ham radio desk portion showing the table and the melamine shelves.  Note that
this photo is several years old, I think it dates just after I added the P3 but
does not show re-arrangement and changes because of adding the KAT500 and
KPA500 to the mix.

http://k7peh.us/hamradio/k7peh_1.jpg

73, phil, K7PEH