From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Sverre
Holm (LA3ZA)
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2015 2:33 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Digital Voice Mode - our future?

The country you may be referring to is Norway, where it has been decided to
switch off all the biggest broadcasters from FM (88-108 MHz) in 2017 as the
first country in the world, http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32380222

It has been a controversial decision, I for one have critized the audio
coding used for sacrificing audio quality in an Audio Engineering Society
presentation in 2007 "Audio Quality on the Air in DAB Digital Radio in
Norway" http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~sverre/papers/07_AES-DAB-Corrected.pdf

But I cannot quite see the relevance for VHF FM for hams.

ae4pb wrote
> I'm wondering since Digital voice is replacing FM around the world how
> hard it would be to add another mode to the K3S? I'm not even sure
> what the standards are but one country just set the date to get rid of
> FM permanently and switch to DV.
>
> Jerry Moore
> AE4PB, K3S - S.N. 10324

-----
Sverre, LA3ZA

K2 #2198, K3 #3391,
LA3ZA Blog: http://la3za.blogspot.com,
LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 modifications:
http://la3za.blogspot.com/p/la3za-unofficial-guide-to-elecraft-k2.html

delivered to je...@carolinaheli.com