I also experience the band and mode button malfunctions all too
frequently.  My K3 is only about 8 months old, and because I live in the
lightning capital of the world, has had only light usage.

What I have experienced is that when the band or mode buttons are pushed,
sometimes it erroneously invokes other functions.  For example, pressing
band down, the VFO B display shows "NO ATU" and does not switch bands.
It's _not_ always the same error, it seems when it malfunctions, it is
random.

73,
K1AY (Chris)

--
Life is like Linux - it never stands still.