This is the right place to ask questions like this, since this is where we are
listening. It is one of the major reasons the lists exists.

I see from your second email that the asterisk is not being shown when the K3
keys. This indicates that the KPA500 is not getting the PTT signal.

The KAT500 does not listen to the PTT signal, it only disconnects it when it is
doing a tune cycle. So you really cannot rule out a bad cable. Take a good look
at the AUXI/O cable to make sure none of the pins are bent.also, ohm out the
cable to make sure all the pins that are supposed to be connected actually are.
If the PTT pin is not touching, then that would be the problem. The fact that
using a Phono-Phono cable from the K3 to the KPA is a bit troubling, make sure
that cable is good also.  Next check the KPA500’s menu settings to make sure
that the INHIBIT signal is disabled. Shorting that input with the signal
enabled in the KPA would also cause the KPA to not go into amplify mode.

While you are investigating, make sure the K3 is actually asserting the PTT
signal.

If you don’t find the problem up to here, open the KPA’s top and check the 40
pin ribbon cable on the left side to make sure it is properly seated on both
ends (IO board and Front Panel board. It could have worked its way loose during
shipment, but if it had you would be seeing lots of other problems.

If you don’t find anything with all of these checks, give me a shout back and
we will look at more diagnosis.

73,

Jack Brindle, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering