I have a photo of a commercial operator at KPH in northern California with a
heavy cable clamp attached to the arm of his bug.  When working ships, they
often keep the speed under 20 WPM.  Rick - K7MW

That's my old buddy, LR, Rick. I now have his key. LR became an SK in the
early 1990's and his wife passed it on to me. He was also a Ham, K6ETY, but
he wasn't active the last twenty years. Les (LR) was my High School Radio
Shop teacher in the 1950's. He quit teaching right after I had his class.
(No, I never asked him about the connection.)

Les and I ended up working side by side at Lockheed Aircraft, then Sylvania
Electronic systems, then he went back to sea for several years before
finally marrying his childhood sweetheart and settling down at KPH in the
1970s at age 60-something.

I have the key and the cable clamp. It still has the dymo label with his
sine, LR, that he put there back in early 1960's. Les had deformed feet
which disqualified him for military service in WWII, so he signed on with
the merchant marine and ran the gauntlet back and forth through the
submarines lying in wait in both the Atlantic and Pacific. Looking for a
quieter life after the war, he became a High School Teacher. I'm not sure he
ever decided which was more dangerous, the classroom or those torpedoes. I
don't know what happened to the key he had then, but he bought the second
one, the one I have, when he went back to sea in the 1960's.

Some operators working closed circuits had the luxury of really working up
serious speed, but the commercial operators on the shore stations like KPH
were responsible for making it easy for the radio officers on the ships, and
many of them were none too fast. So they were always ready to QRS and rarely
got to work above 20 wpm. After all, that shipboard operator was the
customer and everyone knows what they say about customers and being right.

Besides, commercial operators know that more traffic gets handled at
moderate speeds without fills than one can do at higher speeds with
corrections. Some of the old pre WWII commercial shore stations used to
provide company bugs that the operators had to use. Those bugs had the
weights welded in place for 15 wpm to discourage speed sending.

Ron AC7AC