Ed -

I use an MD-100 in a boom, though I don't rely on the MD-100 base for PTT.

The Base of the MD-100 Mic takes the same type connector as the MIC input on
the front panel.

There may be a few options for you.

1)      Consider wiring the Element of the MD-100 through an 8-pin connector
to a 1/8" phone jack to the rear panel of the K3.  Leave the MD-100 base
plugged in and use the PTT on it.  I 'think' that will work.

2)      As 1) above plus wire an RCA plug to a desk, or panel mounted
switch.  Plug that into the rear PTT jack on the rear of the K3.  There are
some nice, fair sized bi-position switches that can be used.  One position
is momentary contact, while held in place.  The other is locked in place
until disengaged.  ON-OFF-MOMentary.  In this case, the MD-100 Base wouldn't
need to be plugged into the rig.

3)       Extending the fixed cable on the MD-100 base that goes to the
MD-100 mic may work as well.  That may be achieved by splicing in additional
length of cable or an extended cable with an 8-pin female connector on one
end and a 8-pin male on the other end.

73,

Dick - KA5KKT

"I use a Yaesu   MD100 desk Mic with my K-3.  It is connected to the front
microphone socket currently."

Ed  WeiderK2EDW