Hello Joel!

In the K3, the first 5 bars of the "ALC" bargraph indicator are just audio level. Traditional ALC - reducing drive to to transmit strip to control power level - does not occur until somewhere between the 5th and 6th bar. So the directions to have 4-5 bars of ALC just means that the audio drive level to the DSP is at the correct level for the transmit power control loop to work properly without introducing distortion from the audio leveling control logic.

Underdrive it and you'll likely get creeping power levels as the MCU in the K3 attempts to control peak power by adjusting the RF drive level in the transmit path. Overdrive it and you may get some amount of distortion from the transmit audio gain control loop within the DSP code.

The DSP code in the K3 that monitors, limits and reports audio drive levels has not changed in years.