Hi Folks

I have owned a KX-3 for a couple of years, have fitted the filter
board and auto-tuner and a set of internal batteries and charger.
Certainly a tidy package.

Something I like using is a small light headset aka cheap and cheerful
pc gaming type hardware.  i use these on my K2 and K3 with great results.
The heavy bass needs taming down, simple RC filter does the trick.

>From day one the KX-3 seemed very bass heavy.
Something didn't sound
quite right, an odd echo on SSB with higher mic gain settings.
Bias for the Mic was enabled to power the insert.
Setting for TX EQ  -16 for 100 200 400 hz.

I added a 0.047uF cap into the mic line to roll the low end audio.
This prevents the mic power from working, so figured the
unused mic up/down line could be used. It is about 2.5volts
in series with 5.6k. So we now have a working mic,
with minor internal changes at the mic socket.

But the echo seemed if anything worse at higher mic gain.

Now as a  long shot terminated the mic up/down line with about 10uF electro.
This would ensure the bias supply is clean.

Echo is now gone. Totally.

I suspect what is happening is headset plugs are sitting accross the
up/down line, some audio is ending up where is should not be.

I am well pleased. The 3 components ( 0.047uF  5.6k  10uF ) can be
mounted directly on the KX-3 mic socket. It's a squeeze but works well

cheers from ZL

Paul
zl1ajy