When I called support about this they said it was normal expansion and
contraction of the heat sink.  They also said for me to check the screws and
make sure they are tight.  I went the step further and added heat sink compound
and lock washers under the screws.  Never clicked again.

Dale, k9vuj

On 21, Oct 2015, at 9:09, mcduf...@ag0n.net wrote:

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 07:49:26 -0500, DaleJ wrote:

> Yes, the book says normal, but it's annoying.

This is an interesting topic and the explanation I saw on it some time back made
perfect sense.  However, I also find it interesting that I have never
experienced the ticking at all on mine.  Over the last couple of years, it has
had a nice workout almost daily on six meter digital modes, where it heats up to
stage 4 and sometimes 5 on the fan, and it has never done it.  Even before that,
when it was newer and was only used on SSB/CW (stage 1 and sometimes 2 fan), it
didn't do it.  I'm curious why some do and some don't???

Gary - AG0N