Great explanation........specially for an old fellow {me}, trying to learn to use an Iambic paddle.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10163

On 10/21/2015 9:31 PM, Mike Morrow wrote:
nfortunately my keying is full of mistakes. When I send the letter C
>for example, it often comes out as CT or K. I thought the KX3 must be
>set to mode B keying, but no, it was on mode A.
What you report is completely contradictory.

If C is the desired character:

A Mode A operator using a Mode B keyer can easily end up sending -.-.-
A Mode B operator using a Mode A keyer can easily end up sending -.-

Mode B keyers end an iambic string with
* a dash if the paddles are released during a dot, or
* a dot if the paddles are released during a dash.

Mode A keyers end an iambic string with:
* the dash if the paddles are released during that dash, or
* the dot if the paddles are released during that dot.

Mode B keyers ALWAYS add a character element for which no paddle closure has
taken place at the end of an iambic string.

Mode A keyers NEVER add a character element unless there has been paddle
closure for that element.

Most find Mode B paddle timing to be more critical than Mode A, even though
Mode B does NOT eliminate any paddle manipulation.

I find Elecraft's implementation of Mode A to be excellent.  Almost all Asian
ham rig makers stupidly impose Mode B only.  Several years ago I asked QST to
report the iambic keying modes available on any rig being reviewed.  Since then
QST has been very good about including that information.

Mike / KK5F
(Mode A always!)