From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim
Brown
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2015 9:59 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Popping noise in headphones??

On Fri,10/16/2015 11:15 PM, Jim Bolit wrote:
> The popping is present as I rotate the BW control back to wider bandwidths
also, but the popping stops once above 200 Hz bandwidth.

Hi Jim,

I also do a lot of digging for weak signals, but I rarely go narrower than
200 Hz because I find the filter ringing on noise takes over. Yes, I'm using
the optimal setting to minimize ringing.

If you're hearing the popping and others are not, perhaps you're using more
AF gain and less RF gain than they are. If so, I suggest adjusting that
ratio in the direction of less AF gain and see if you can reach a happy
compromise. As an OT CW op, I do recognize the virtue of not using excessive
RF gain.

And maybe Wayne can do something about the switching transient in a future
firmware firmware release.

73, Jim K9YC

delivered to jbol...@outlook.com