Tom,

SPLIT and the SubRX are two different things - try not to get them mixed up.
The SubRX normally receives using VFO B (unless in DIVERSITY), but that is not the same as SPLIT.
With SPLIT off, transmit will be on the VFO A frequency.
When SPLIT is ON, transmit will be on the VFO B frequency. That is true whether the SubRX is turned on or off.

Do a check - turn SPLIT off.
Now can you hear both the main and SubRX? If not, do you really have SUB turned on? You should see the SUB icon in the display. If SUB is turned on, then check the antenna that the SubRX is using - use BSET and see if AUX appears in the display, if it does, then the SubRX is listening to the AUX antenna - which would be either the BNC ant connector or the non-transmit antenna (depends on how your SubRX AUX input is physically connected). Turn AUX off if it is turned on so the SubRX will listen to the main antenna (the same one used for transmit).

You should be able to hear both the main and the SubRX.

Once you can hear both, turn on SPLIT - observe that the arrow in the right of the display points to VFO B. The SubRX should still be heard.

73,
Don W3FPR