I am wanting to connect a computer headset to my K2.  I bought the K2 used
along with an Icom HM-12 hand mic that I have used successfully.  I haven't
opened the radio up to see what the bias resistor is inside of the K2, but
I measure +5V between pin 1 and pins 7 and 8 of the microphone connector.
I believe that means that a bias resistor has been connected internally to
put the bias voltage that the HM-12 needs on pin 1. (As a sidenote, trying
to measure the bias on pin 6 with my DMM appears to reboot the
microprocessor, sending the LCD screen back to "ELECRAFT"!!)

I am not sure about the bias needs of the headset that I have, which I
intend to use for infrequent SSB contesting. Following a recent message on
this reflector, I measured the resistance from tip to sleeve of the
microphone plug at 830 ohms. That message suggested that such a low
resistance would be indicative of a dynamic microphone element.  The
headset works fine with Skype on a laptop if that means anything.

I've got a mic plug and a female inline 1/8 socket and I will be making an
adapter for the headset. I want to be able to change from the hand
microphone to the headset without making internal changes on the K2, of
course. Ideally, I would like to use the same 1/8 inch to 8-pin adapter for
soundcard digital modes with the K2.

What should I do about the bias on microphone pin 1? Should I just use the
headset as-is, risking distorted audio with a dynamic microphone fed 5
volts of bias? Should I include a blocking capacitor (of what value?) in
the adapter that I build?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

-Neil N0FN