Charlie,

The mod is not difficult - remove the front panel and separate the board
from the dress panel.  Then wrap a bare wire around the threads of the mic
connector, twist it tight, and run one end over to the ground loop on the
left end of the board - solder the wire to the mic connector body (requires
a LOT of heat - dwell with the iron until the connector body itself melts
the solder) and solder the other end to the ground loop.  Reassemble the
front panel - Done.

The original write-up by Wayne N6KR should be somewhere in the archives, I
believe back in 2000 or 2001.

73,
Don W3FPR