Nick,

No need to guess, that certainly is true - a single audio tone transmitted
without a carrier present will produce a single signal at a frequency of the
carrier + or - the tone pitch (depends on the sideband).  The amplitude will
of course depend on how strong the audio signal is, but it could develop as
much as the CW signal before driving the signal into a non-linear region
(that non-linear maximum will depend on the transmitter design - I do not
believe that is any need for concern on the K2)

73,
Don W3FPR