      From: Gary Smith <g...@ka1j.com>
 To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2016 9:28 AM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] SKN.

Though you did get the info you asked and that SKN is over, this info
may be moot but it's a worthy read. SKN is not a contest though it
can be looked at that way. Here is the official website and it
explains it well.

http://www.arrl.org/straight-key-night

On the personal side, I enjoy SKN for several reasons but one main
reason; it allows me to experience ham radio the way it was before
digital everything took over our operating stations. Back when people
made more than a "contest style" 599 TU & back to CQing for their
next fly by contact. During SKN, people send their station
information, rig, antenna, key, their name and QTH and the RST is
real rather than cookie cutter 599 regardless of signal.

It's refreshing to ignore the electronic log that already gives you
their name & QTH the second you enter their call, and listen to them
send their town, a comma and then their state. It takes me back to
the days of my paper log where it was a challenge to remember
someone's name when you hear their familiar call, where if you wanted
to know where someone lived to send a QSL, you needed to the look it
up in the US and international editions of the US Call Book.
Sometimes DX would send their mailing address and it was a test of
copy skills to get the unusual street names and town names correctly
over the QRN & QSB. But when you did it that way, those QSL cards
meant so much more. As a poor student in Nursing School, I remember
hand drawing my first QSL cards, artfully, because I couldn't afford
to pay someone to make them, paper was cheap and pens were plentiful.
Those original KA1DQG cards were a joy to make and surely were
appreciated by the recipients. SKN reminds me of those days.

It was a time of more honesty in RST and comments as to poor tone and
others trying to help you without the eternal LID or UP being always
sent. QRM is worse today but there always was QRM, even Maxim called
it Rotten QRM and had his Wouf Hong at the ready to do battle. But I
wax nostalgic; SKN is a time to experience older times when I think
Ham Radio was more fun and personal when it comes to the QSO itself.

You hear some on hand keys today, I suspect the speed demons bypass
them like the tortoise and the Hare but those with the hand keys are
still living the joy that made Ham Radio great and a contact more of
a joy than another minimalist Q in the log. I have my Begali
Sculpture and use it daily but sometimes I bring out the old Navy
Key, just because of respect for the old days.

This SKN I used my K3 at around 40 watts with my father's Navy key he
brought back from Pearl Harbor when he was there in the 40's. Some of
the contacts I made were using their tube gear. It's fun to ragchew
about their old radio that they just dusted off. Truth be told, the
most fun QSO's I've had in the last year were those SKN QSOs because
you have to invest your effort to the copy and the conversation is
much more active and personal, it's Ham Radio today as it was then.
Consider it an annual Brigadoon of Ham Radio, you just don't have to
wait 100 years to enjoy it again.

Try to fit it in if you can, next year.

73,
Gary